Monday, 12 January 2015

a day of surprises

A day which typifies India-nothing is as expected, but the unexpected is the experience.
This morning a frustrating search to hastily replace a ripped suitcase-thanks, Emirates-I saw so many caught on the ancient baggage carousel at arrivals in Chennai without realising at the time one of them was mine.
Taken for  ride (literally) by a auto rickshaw driver to the impossible to find shop my hosts recommended, I ended up in the shop literally around the corner called Bag Zone and yes, it looks like every one in every city. Huh. Ah well, I have a bag, though how long this will last is anyone's guess.
And with wifi down I felt low, out of touch and out of spirits.
So as in England, when down, I set off for a walk. And discovered an afternoon full of amazing surprises.
First to San Thom cathedral, by far more spectacular then I had imagined, and built on the tomb of St Thomas, one of only three cathedrals, one of the others being The Basilica in Rome, to share the honour. This city houses as many churches as temples. mainly Catholic, but there are many many other churches of all denominations.
San Thom Cathedral
Revived by a restful shady quiet time -and a mango ice cream and sweet coffee-I set off to join the followers of the holy man swami Vivekananda for free 'birthday' celebrations at the spectacular pink building on the seafront where  he once stayed centuries ago. Complete with 20 min 3 D fim-where, somewhat embarrassingly, I was given a private showing in English whilst locals waited patiently outside-plus historical artefacts and photos of his life and teachings, rather bizarely this odd place captured my imagination.

Two more surprises lay in wait. The first was to stumble unexpectedly upon the stunning beautiful Sri Parathasparethy Temple. The white stone images line the pyramid to the skies behind the waters of the ghat. and as the sun was setting white clad disciples stepped out to a fanfare of drums to perform the evening blessings ceremony, giving and receiving alms from the faithful.
Sri Parathasparethy Temple
And as I slowly retraced my steps  home I found that where early had been a square of market stalls and traffic bedlam was now reincarnated as a stage embellished with a mulititude of flowers, where dancers were performing ancient south Indian music and acts amidst a blaze of floodlights and an appreciative audience.
That's the thing about India-for all the dust, dirt, poverty,smells, etc etc, it is also full of joyful,  glorious surprises!

1 comment:

  1. It sounds so beautiful on a wet and windy day in January. Enjoy. Caroline x

    ReplyDelete