Day 4.
a day of surprises, especially the surprising friendliness of strangers. Post breakfast I dodged the lurking rickshaw driver to locate a bus to my chosen destination of Fort George...which I had merrily trudged past on my long walk through the city on my earlier route march. A young man not only showed me the way but insisted on walking with me and waiting until said bus, although he had been heading the other way. I fully appreciate the need to keep my wits about me here but it also continually surprises me how genuinely helpful people are.
 |
| Local Bus - Today's mode of transport |
The fort -one of the first bastions of the British in Madras-is still an army barracks but there is a charming church and a musty, dusty museum full of relics of colonial Britain.
 |
| Outside The Fort |
Glories of the past give way outside to the tangled alleys of George Town(the fort was once known as white town and this area outside the wall as black town). It being Sunday, the heaving mass of humanity was quieter than usual and I was able to find the very cafe where my fab malai (buttermilk) lassi awaited.
 |
| My favouite Lassi Parlour |
Revived I set off for a walk, only to stumble on a shanty/slum town of mud huts, beggars and dire poverty.
to my amazement there was no animosity, just curious smiles and waves. Not even a request for money-the constant background noise to my presence normally in the city.
Still I did not linger!
Back to the bus, and yet again helpful pointings and smiles. I decided, as it was Sunday, to do what literally everyone in Chennai does on Sunday, and go to the beach.
Despite the warnings, it does appear many do swim-spectacularly dangerous looking surf but then the sands come with hawkers, horses, beggars, stalls, motorbikes -so that's not easy either!
But it is all good natured, a festival for the senses.
 |
| Assorted Beach stalls |
 |
| And the Funfair |
The warm red of the evening sunset glows on the gold statues to local and national heros,monuments, ancient and modern buildings and colourful temples.
No comments:
Post a Comment