Today is traditionally the maddest day of the four day Pongal holiday and, as the fates would have it , I am in the maddest town.
This is the day when everyone goes out, literally. It was, I was told, 'mandatory' for family outings to the sea. And Mamallaporum is Tamil Nada's place to go..despite the fact that it consists of a handful of village streets and is about the size of Kingston.
Famous normally for its ancient stone temples and rock carving (its a world heritage site) it is also infamous for its crowds at Pongal, esp on the third day,ie today.
After the welcoming rituals and family feast, the third day is to celebrate animals. Or, the locals ns call it 'the day of the bull'. Luckily the traditional bull fighting 'to honor the cow' has disapeared (mostly).
i now know understand more about the importance of Pongal, the need to celebrate the new harvest season in a county like Tamil Nadu where the majority of the population depends on agriculature. The name itself means to 'overflow' and is cried out over copious pouring of milk and rice to usher in the holidays.
This morning when I set off for my walk along the beach it was relatively quiet here. As I returned along the sands to the village I could hear the roar of incoming crowds. By early afternoon back in the cool haven of my tiny room (cell) the noise outside was deafening. Even the roaming cows had taken sanctuary against walls leaving the streets to the maddening crowds.
When I did venture out I found there was a great atmosphere, the beach resembled a giant market/funfair, tightly packed with bodies but everyone smiling, greeting and waving, often I was handed babies or even a puppy to hold for a photo op, rather surreal. Not often I'm taken for a model!
The dance festival continues every evening and tonight I saw the energectic 'flok' dancing...thats folk dancing, methinks...aerobic zumba type moves which I rather fancied joining in but didn't think the professionals would appreciate it.
An ensemble traditional dance was fascinating not just due to the hilarious lack of ensemble but also to the hairy, moustached and bejewelled 'female' dancer in the all 'female' troupe. His effeminate grace and charm was greeted with much applause and cheers. So a mad, mad day -but turns out that I've ended up in the right place at the right time to join in the madness!
This is the day when everyone goes out, literally. It was, I was told, 'mandatory' for family outings to the sea. And Mamallaporum is Tamil Nada's place to go..despite the fact that it consists of a handful of village streets and is about the size of Kingston.
Famous normally for its ancient stone temples and rock carving (its a world heritage site) it is also infamous for its crowds at Pongal, esp on the third day,ie today.
After the welcoming rituals and family feast, the third day is to celebrate animals. Or, the locals ns call it 'the day of the bull'. Luckily the traditional bull fighting 'to honor the cow' has disapeared (mostly).
i now know understand more about the importance of Pongal, the need to celebrate the new harvest season in a county like Tamil Nadu where the majority of the population depends on agriculature. The name itself means to 'overflow' and is cried out over copious pouring of milk and rice to usher in the holidays.
This morning when I set off for my walk along the beach it was relatively quiet here. As I returned along the sands to the village I could hear the roar of incoming crowds. By early afternoon back in the cool haven of my tiny room (cell) the noise outside was deafening. Even the roaming cows had taken sanctuary against walls leaving the streets to the maddening crowds.
When I did venture out I found there was a great atmosphere, the beach resembled a giant market/funfair, tightly packed with bodies but everyone smiling, greeting and waving, often I was handed babies or even a puppy to hold for a photo op, rather surreal. Not often I'm taken for a model!
The dance festival continues every evening and tonight I saw the energectic 'flok' dancing...thats folk dancing, methinks...aerobic zumba type moves which I rather fancied joining in but didn't think the professionals would appreciate it.
An ensemble traditional dance was fascinating not just due to the hilarious lack of ensemble but also to the hairy, moustached and bejewelled 'female' dancer in the all 'female' troupe. His effeminate grace and charm was greeted with much applause and cheers. So a mad, mad day -but turns out that I've ended up in the right place at the right time to join in the madness!
No comments:
Post a Comment