Wednesday, 28 January 2015

Trichy Times

Ten days since I was pinned to  the ground by a cow  horn during the Pongal madness and ten days in which I've had to come to terms with a different type of travelling.
My original backpackers ideal has given way to a sedate passage through India rather than a whistlestop tour.
But my enforced longer stopover here in Trichy has meant I have, as in Chennai, learnt the ways of the city. I have travelled north, south, east and west by bus,  today enjoying window shopping in the diamond bazaars, admiring the rainbows of the silk bazaars, lapped up a hot Badam (almond) milk for lunch followed by a fresh salt lime juice and clambered up the rock face to sit in the cool winds at the peak temple gazing out over the town below.
Despite the endless dusty city grime this is a town with great character, great temples, great bazaars and has been, despite my aching battered body, a great place to stay. Trichy is not just the geographical centre of Tamil Nadu but its beating heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment