Today is the beginnng of the four day festival of Pongal, a very auspicious time in the Tamil calandar. As I write fireworks are going off around me and the day has been full of celebrations where, with true Indian generousity, I have been welcomed with beckoning hands of genuine hospitality.
A morning walk to the local temple just out of curiosity as I had no idea what to expect of this holiday coincided their Pongal special annual ceremony involving complex rituals such as pouring boiling milk over the deity in a hour's holy ceremony accompanied by traditional music and fragrant incense.
I was welcomed in, given a front seat (on the ground, obviously but I am getting used to the continual coating of dust and dirt now) blessed with holy water, anointed on the forehead with a special mark, given ceremonial flowers and oranges and invited for lunch.
I politely declined and made my way by bus to George Town to escape the intense midday heat by enjoying my favourite lassi -the staff now greet me as a friend, which is lovely-and walking the grounds of the leafy High Court compound, a stunning expanse of classical red coloured buildings topped with mosaic coloured domes.
Walking the narrow lanes of this ancient district for a final foray I came across another temple in full festival mode. Drawn in by colourful streamers and insistant worshippers it was impossible to refuse their hospitality and I was given special extra large portions of the communal Pongal feast, tamarind rice, chick pea 'something', ghee to mix and a gorgeous fig based desert. Great for a veggie like me and delicious.
The kindly hosts even found me a spoon as my attempts to use my hand was not as good as usual as I was nervous... I'd been invited to sit with the priests on a step and not on the ground and just could not work my fingers.
Chennai is just not a city that attracts tourists so I am usually the only western face-not always a good thing but today a bonus as everyone wanted to show me the spirit of Pongal.
Walking home I fell into step with a passing evening temple parade and then wandered home thinking the day was over. I was wrong.
With darkness comes the parade, the firecrackers, the fireworks...I got literally swept up in one mad chaotic march - this city certainly knows how to party! Drums, music, flower petals flung from every window, illuminations of every size and colour: the city transformed into spectacular party mode.
Happy Pongal 2015 to everyone in England from this special day here.
A morning walk to the local temple just out of curiosity as I had no idea what to expect of this holiday coincided their Pongal special annual ceremony involving complex rituals such as pouring boiling milk over the deity in a hour's holy ceremony accompanied by traditional music and fragrant incense.
![]() |
| Temple decorated for Pongal |
I politely declined and made my way by bus to George Town to escape the intense midday heat by enjoying my favourite lassi -the staff now greet me as a friend, which is lovely-and walking the grounds of the leafy High Court compound, a stunning expanse of classical red coloured buildings topped with mosaic coloured domes.
Walking the narrow lanes of this ancient district for a final foray I came across another temple in full festival mode. Drawn in by colourful streamers and insistant worshippers it was impossible to refuse their hospitality and I was given special extra large portions of the communal Pongal feast, tamarind rice, chick pea 'something', ghee to mix and a gorgeous fig based desert. Great for a veggie like me and delicious.
The kindly hosts even found me a spoon as my attempts to use my hand was not as good as usual as I was nervous... I'd been invited to sit with the priests on a step and not on the ground and just could not work my fingers.
![]() |
| Pongal Feast |
Walking home I fell into step with a passing evening temple parade and then wandered home thinking the day was over. I was wrong.
![]() |
| Pongal Parade |
Happy Pongal 2015 to everyone in England from this special day here.





No comments:
Post a Comment