Typical. Having survived the most notorious road in South India, the Mysore city bus I blithely leapt on to head out to Chamundi hills today crashed into a wall. Just as we'd left the bus station there was a loud bang, the conductor, several children and numerous bags shot past me down the aisle and I, luckily seated, got away with sore knees as my rucksack acted as an airbag. This being India, once it was quickly established no one was badly hurt, after a brief hiatus we simply carried on our way. No one seemed that bothered. The buses are so battered anyway I guess another missing part or two isn't important.
Chamundi hill towers over Mysore, and would have offered panoramic views had the visibility been better. The towering Chamundeshwari temple dominates the summit, where I was duly blessed and then made a quick exit before the 'donations' got rather pricey. There are three ancient temples here and whilst it is the Indian way to give generously I reckon my non Hindu status exempts me...although maybe the sacred cow sensed my inner meanness.
 |
| Tample atop the Chamundi Hill |
 |
| Me - post blessing. Check the forehead |
Several hundred steep steps down from the top of the main hill is the massive bull statue carved out of black granite. The bull Nandi is worshipped as the 'vehicle' for Lord Shiva and is a pilgrimage site for locals and tourists alike. I sat in the shade of the pink and lilac blossomed trees admiring from afar until I'd overcome my reluctance to go close to a cow, even an ancient statue...but looking at my photos tonight I'm convinced his head was definitely looming close when my back was turned. Yep, truly paranoid now.
 |
| Me near a Bull |
 |
| Is that bull about to attack me? |
 |
| Nandi - the Black Granite sacred bull |
The main danger was monkeys, which were everywhere and very keen on helping themselves to anything and everything. I only hung on to my ice cream thanks to a stall holder chucking water at a pesky one who sneaked up right above me.
Going down took longer than going up as I inadvertently got the bus which took in every village and suburb of Mysore. A sightseeing tour on the cheap. I found the market, the roads lined with silk shops, the bazaars and many parks, so when we finally rolled to a stop I nipped back to stock up on fruit to add vitamins to my rather unbalanced diet. I adore the pastries, sweets and spiced buns here but everything is fried or covered in sugar so not exactly healthy. I did have a cup of goats milk today from a street seller who assured me it was 'pure'...um, food poisoning alert. I'm hoping my blessings will fend off the bugs..
 |
| Mysore - as viewed from the hill |
No comments:
Post a Comment