OMG its cold up here in the hills. Last night the temp outside dropped to ten degrees, talk about a shock. Luckily the room was warm from the daylight sun but the chill has taken me by surprise! I came , I thought, prepared but after the intense inland heat the contrast is so sudden. Now I've adjusted it's like being back in an English summer. A relief to be cool again after many weeks of being so hot.
This hotel kept their promise and have moved me to a room on the quieter side with a fabulous view of the hills. No traffic noise, now that's a first. Admittedly there's building racket everywhere as usual and as this town is full of tourists and most of them seem to be staying here its not exactly quiet, but its a distinct improvement.
 |
| View from hotel window |
I spent this morning in assorted queues at the railway station obtaining the 'golden ticket' to ride on the famous Nilgiri mountain train. Succeeded in getting a first class seat for tomorrow. it's cost me three pounds rather than fifty pence so it had better be worth the outlay! Watch this space.
Off then to recuperate by the sparkling shores of Ooty Lake, a tourist must for the many who flock to Ooty.
 |
| Ooty Lake |
There are a few westerners here (more than elsewhere I've been so far) but by far the majority of visitors are Indian, in the main Muslim. I couldn't resist paying the extortionate 20 pence to visit The Thread Garden, a vastly overhyped artificial flower garden, which was so extravagantly described it was hilarious just to see a collection of collage flower pots against a painted backdrop. Typical India.
This afternoon I wandered down to the Botanical Gardens, thinking it would be the usual small park, only to find myself in what could easily pass for a National Trust garden in England. A rose garden, sunken gardens, conservatories with gorgeous blooms of every description, cacti displays everywhere, lakes full of water lillies and flower filled ponds , topiary...the paths wove their way up hill and down hill and by the time the sun began to set I was exhausted, especially as I'm still not anywhere near my best fitness wise. Another unexpected delight. Ooty is proving to be literally a breath of fresh air.
 |
| Botanical Gardens |
 |
| Topiary in the gardens |
 |
| In the conservatory |
 |
| Sunset in the gardens |
This place looks stunning Edwina. Glad you are enjoying the delights of India and it's people. Really enjoying reading your blogs.Keep safe. Love Karen.XX
ReplyDelete